Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Breath of Snow and Ashes


by Diana Gabaldon
I've made it! I've finished! I have read all the Outlander books! I am done!
What's that?
There's going to be another book! Oh for christ's sake...

Annoyance with the fact that I'm still not at the end of the story aside, A Breath of Snow and Ashes was great. It cooked along at a fast pace with many exciting plot twists. I even stayed up waaay late into the night a few times because the story was so gripping. Less politics-more melodrama!
Editing is still an issue. It tends to get worse towards the end of the book. This time I noted words with letters left out and a sentence that literally repeated a phrase with in itself. Were these flaws buried deep within the text I could have forgiven them. But they were not only at the beginning of paragraphs, but at the beginning of chapters!
Really? Who is it that's not doing their job at Delta? Come on!
Hopefully they will get it together for the final (maybe?) book King, Farewell. It is dubious amongst any press I can find whether there will actually be another book. However Snow and Ashes did not tie everything up, and it left out the chapter printed in The Outlandish Companion. The biggest indicator is that a big hoopla was not made over Snow and Ashes being "THE END." Now DG is no JKR but you'd think they'd make a big deal over the end of a story that has taken 5347 pages so far.