Monday, May 21, 2007

Bookround


Tonight I attended my first Bookround. This is a local book club in New Haven. It works by announcing the book, meeting place, and time online, then members sign up for the books they want to read and discuss. It's perfect for me. I'm not forced into reading anything I don't want to and I can attend the discussion if it fits into my schedule. I've been meaning to attend one for a while, but between one thing and another (and chickening out once) I never made it before tonight.
I had a great time. We discussed To Kill A Mockingbird as part of Big Read New Haven. One of the ladies who works at The Arts and Ideas Festival was there and expalined why they chose this particualr book. 1.) The race issues in the novel were something that New Haven-ites could relate to. 2.) It is available in Spanish. 3.) It's a book many ages can read and connect to because it works on so many levels. So we discussed the race issues, and the ages we were when we read the book initially. This was one girl's first reading, which was exciting to hear. We talked about social class and the difference between kids now and then. It was a good discussion.
I think I will try to attend another. I'm sure there is a difference in the type of book and group dynamic at every Bookround which is exciting. I am voting for the current contenders The Red Tent, The Tao of Pooh, and The Robber Bride. Hopefully I will be able to attend another this summer.

*cross posted at the 101 blog*

No comments: