Monday, January 15, 2007

First Chapters Update...

After much press and fanfare the first chapters of the First Chapters contest were posted today. There are already so many! Gather.com has said if there are less than 200 entries then Simon and Schuster reserves the right to pull the publishing contract and the winner will be awarded the $5000 prize only. After 26 entries posted the first day, I don't think it's going to be a problem. I think this contest is a great idea and I'm sure the brains behind the operation thought they would be giving an amazing opportunity to an unpublished writer. I don't think they know how many people harbor the unpublished novel deep in the recesses of their hard drive. If you look at the FAQ's on every nearly writer's website, there is usually the question "How do I get my book published? Can I send you my manuscript?" The answers are usually "Get an agent!" and "No." My friend Linda gets asked these questions all the time and she's an illustrator.
It will be interesting indeed to see the quality of these submissions...

No comments: