Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Outlander


by Diana Gabaldon
I heard about this book from two reputable sources within a few weeks of one another and that sealed the deal giving them a try. Funny enough both sources also mentioned the fact that these books are also usually labeled as Romance novels-"But they are not-not at all!" I purchased a copy at Book Trader from the Sci-fi section. I purchased a copy at Borders for my mother as a gift and it was in the Romance section. Yesterday when I went to Books and Co. to get a couple more books in the series it was shelved in regular ol' literature.
So Outlander really has no genre. Yes it's literature, yes there is romance, and there is time travel involved so it could be sci-fi. Regardless it's a really good story and well written. (Though poorly edited-I'll get to that later) Essentially Claire Randall, our heroine, accidentally travels in time through a stone ring from 1943 to 1743. There she gets trapped and meets, and marries, Jamie Frasier. It's a whirlwind of a novel that has adventure, history, fighting, torture, poison, true love, hate, revenge, bad men, good men, pain, death, bravery, cowardice, chases, escapes, lies, truths, passion, and miracles. I described it to my mother as Brigadoon meets Clan of the Cave Bear. Meaning Scottish mysticism mixed with an impeccably researched historical setting, and a hot love story. For more on what Outlander is or isn't check out the male perspective of Gavin McNett on Salon.com.
My only gripe is the editing of the novel. Usually my problems with book editing come from the editor allowing the author to run his or her mouth with the story. (See Stephen King's It) In this case as the novel progresses punctuation, spelling, and grammar get spotty. For which there is just no excuse. Especially when a book has been reissued a few times. (Note: While my posts may not be the most grammatically correct, I do not have an editor, just spell check.)
So like many others who have read this book before me, I highly recommend it. It is not a romance novel. Don't be a book snob, march right into the Borders romance section and grab yourself a copy.

No comments: