Friday, April 06, 2007

Drums of Autumn


Before my trip to Lulu-land I did manage to read another of the Outlander novels, but didn't have time to post. Drums of Autumn is the continuation of the saga of Jamie and Claire. This episode brings us to colonial North Carolina. Back in modern Scotland there is a nice counterpoint with the adventures of Claire and Jamie's daughter Brianna going back in time to find them and her boyfriend Rodger following. I enjoyed this book as much as Outlander, Voyager is still my favorite, and Dragonfly in Amber is still my least favorite. And less editing problems this time! I have a co-worker who also reads these novels and is a huge fan. She feels like Diana Gabaldon doesn't write in a linear fashion. Most novelists (it seems, though I am no expert) sort of have an outline, at least in their head, and write with the intention of point A to point B. It turns out Diana Gabaldon writes random chapters and then pieces them together into a story later, filling in the blanks with other chapters. This explains a lot of the editing issues and occasional plot holes. The series is still enjoyable, regardless and I am onto the next one.

No comments: