Friday, April 06, 2007

The problem with working in theatre...


...is that sometimes your life is consumed by it. For the past month or so I've been working on the current production at our humble regional theater. The first few weeks were helping out in the costume shop pulling costumes from stock and ordering things, the last two were spent in a hellish tech process. Fortunately the actors and run crew on the production have been the most amazing, positive, and fun group of people anyone could hope to work with in this kind of situation. Through all the craziness, we are having a blast.
So there has barely been time for sleeping, much less blogging, reading, or working on the 101. I have only the briefest bit of down time over Easter weekend as I am also designing costumes for a show as well. The good news is my finances are in great shape with all the OT and extra income. But is it worth it? I have no qualms about working endless hours on a show where the end result is an amazing theatrical experience. But Lulu is not my cup of tea. It may well be just me, though. I have a HUGE problem with the portrayal of women as original sin and objects of lust. I don't like the stories of Helen of Troy or Guenivere either-an unsympathetic female holds no interest for me. Oh all the men of the world love you, yet you are so miserable?-cry me a f-ing river. Therefore it's not suprising Lulu grates on me. The show is visually quite stunning, even if those visuals leave us wiping up stage blood and picking blue berries out of the washing machine. Between myself and the props runner everyday is a new laundry disaster. Now that we've opened things will settle down and I'll be back in the blogging groove soon.
(cross-posted on the 101 Blog)

No comments: