Wednesday, April 25, 2007

To Kill a Mockingbird



by Harper Lee
This year the International Festival of Arts and Ideas here in New Haven (my employer for the month of June) is participating with the New Haven Public Library in a project called The Big Read. The reading selection is the American classic To Kill a Mockingbird. A book which I have not read in 15 years. In May I will be attending a Bookround discussion of the novel and I will try to make it to a few of the Mockingbird events around the city. Or at the very least I will watch events from the 12th floor office of the Festival.
I have just completed a first read through of the book. It's still as good as I remember But I was surprised at how much I had forgotten. It's difficult to forget the Tom Robinson trial as Gregory Peck's movie performance was so magnetic. And who could forget Boo Radley and the children's obsession to see him in the flesh? The rabid dog in February was another high point. But when isn't a rabid dog in February a high point?
I also remember being completely confused by the "chiffarobe" What the heck is a chiffarobe? In this day and age one could just Google the damn thing. But I grew up like Scout and Jem, playing outdoors with no internets or fiber-optic anything.

I am pleased to present or your information (and mine)...a chiffarobe.

No comments: